As I mentioned previously, I made an appointment with my doctor to see where we’re going next. Thankfully, the doctor did not (despite my worst-case-scenario fears) tell me that we wouldn’t be able to have children. It’s just going to take a little more work.
We have 3 options:
1. Injections to promote egg development with timed intercourse.
2. Injections to promote egg development with insemination.
3. In-vitro fertilization with embryo placement.
Options one and two are pretty much the same, with the difference being that with insemination, the doctor’s office will essentially take a semen sample and work it up to make sure that the fastest and strongest boys are used in the process.
Option three is a lot more complicated and involves more time. But, it has the highest success rate.
The decision ultimately comes down to money and insurance coverage. It turns out that my insurance will not cover in-vitro fertilization. So, that takes that option right off the table, especially since it will be in the $10-15,000.00 range.
My insurance will cover the injections and office visits I need to undergo for the other options, but will also not cover the insemination process. So, the option we’re going to go with is the injections with timed intercourse for the moment. If that doesn’t work, we’ll work our way up to the insemination process, and a last-case scenario will mean raising the dough for IVF.
So, uh, yeah. It’s going to be a long road, but I think I’m ready for the challenge. (Or at least I hope so.)